This lesson was developed as part of the Trinidad and Tobago Social Studies Curriculum
This lesson will introduce the students to: Trinidad and Tobago - A History of Our People.
Content Area and Grade Level
This unit can be used in Standard Three (9-10 years old) and targets the areas of language arts, and social studies.
This unit's main objective is for the students to recognize and develop a sense of awareness of where our ancestors came from and use this information to create a poster. Informational literacy is the main focus of this project.
Literacy Standards Addressed:
- The student understands, analyzes, synthesizes, and evaluates informational and technical text, connecting text with prior knowledge and experience.
- The student listens and responds critically to both oral and written communication.
Social Studies Standards Addresses:
- The student develops an understanding and appreciation for their ancestors in respect to their contribution to our country.
This unit was organized to give a general introduction to Trinidad and Tobago - A History of Our People.
- Social Studies for Standards 4 & 5 by McLinton Robinson
At the end of this unit on the History of Our People, pupils will be able to:
- identify the place names associated to those groups of
settlers who colonized Trinidad and Tobago.
- list the different religious festivals
- state when each group of European settlers, first settled in
Trinidad and Tobago.
- state when Trinidad and Tobago was discovered.
- identify the first inhabitants of our islands
- match significant dates to their events.
- develop a love for their diversed multi-cultural and
- develop tolerance for their multi-racial and
Links to Students' Activities: